Boat lights come in different sizes and shapes. It is a requirement by marine authorities that all boats have basic side, stern, and mast boat lights. Underwater lights, once seen as a reserve for yachts, have recently become popular with other types of boats. It can be challenging finding the right boat lights in a market that is flooded with thousands of different lights from different manufacturers.
To get the best lights, you need information about the size of your boat, where the lights will be used, their reliability, lumens, and the price. In this article, we provide you with a review of the best boat lights that will serve your needs efficiently.
Boat Lights Comparison Table
1. What Are Boat Lights?
They are lights that are put on the bow, stern, or transom of the boat for different uses. Navigation lights in boats are used to display the boat’s position and its direction. The types of boat lights installed are determined by the size of the boat, the type of power used by the boat, and the position of the boat.
2. How Do They Work and What Is Their Function?
Boat lights are required to stay on from sunset to sunrise to ensure you and other uses can safely navigate water bodies. The sidelights on a boat show which direction a boat is approaching from. Red lights indicate the left side while green lights indicate the right side. The stern light, which is usually a white light, is placed behind the boat. There are several categories of white these lights such as masthead lights and all-round white lights.
The LED lights, which are a recent entrant in the market, can be installed under the boat, on the sides, or at the top. They light up in different colors and can also dissipate heat. They come to life at night where they can be viewed from miles away by people and other boats. LED lights have caught the interest of many a boat owners due to their versatility, durability, brightness and striking beauty.
3. Where Can You Buy Boat Lights?
Boat lights are readily available at local hardware stores near coasts or bodies of water around the country, and can also be found at online stores. However, take caution when purchasing items online since some online stores can deliver incorrect items. Amazon has the largest catalog of lights. They also have fair prices and deliver each of the products to your doorstep.
Overall Price Range
Boat lights vary from $50 to $2000. This wide range of prices is due to the differences in quality and function. LED lights are more expensive than other boat lights. Also, boat lights have different colors. If you require a boat light with multiple colors, you will incur a higher cost.
How We Reviewed
We understand the difficulties you face when searching for the best boat lights. This is partly due to the limited amount of information available in the market. We took it upon ourselves to provide you with an unbiased, quality and well-researched review of the best boat lights in the market. Our research was based on the features of the boat lights offered, the pros and cons, and the price. We also provided you with information on where to source the best boat lights and their warranties.
What We Reviewed
- Bluefin LED Hammerhead H48 Color Change Light
- Shadow-Caster SCR-24 Bronze Underwater Light
- Ocean LED 2010TH Pro Series HD Gen2 LED Underwater Lighting
- Lumitec 101320 SeaBlazeX Spectrum LED Underwater Boat Light
- SeaSense LED Combination Stainless Steel Bow Light
- Attwood LED 1-Mile Deck Mount Navigation Bow Light
- Attwood 3530G7 & 3530R7; LED Navigation Light Green & Red
- SeaSense LED Adjustable Stern Light
- AMRA-5530-24A7 * 24″ Attwood Led Articulating All-Round Boat Stern Lights
- Perko Stealth LED 36″ White All Round Pole Light
1. Bluefin LED Hammerhead H48 Color Change Light
This color change boat light can be sequenced to produce multiple types of colors underwater. They have a fixture of 12,000 lumens which is preferred for boats of up to 105 feet. The lens is an optical grade 8mm borosilicate glass with a 65⁰ beam angle. The outer bronze coating utilizes a special Nano coating technology.
- A wide spectrum
- Very bright
- Over 40,000 hours of LED life expectancy
- The light variation may be unattractive to certain individuals
- It requires extra accessories which pushes the price higher
It comes with a 2-year warranty from the date of purchase.
2. Shadow-Caster SCR-24 Bronze Underwater Light
It is the most recent underwater light from Shadow-Caster. They have a choice of five colors: Aqua green, Cool red, Bimini blue, Ultra blue, and Great white. The glass lens is resistant to scratches, vibrations, and multiple water elements. Using Shadow-Net enabled devices, you can control the lights using Wi-Fi or Ethernet. It is also surface-mounted with the cable being submersible to up to 20 feet.
- It has a single light or multicolor changing option
- It has a long life for the LED lights
- It does not overheat a lot when outside water
- Easy installation
- The lights are not aesthetically attractive
- At 7500 lumens it has reduced brightness compared to boat lights of the same model
A 2-year warranty comes with these lights.
3. OceanLED 2010TH Pro Series HD Gen2 LED Underwater Lighting
This is small underwater boat light requires a cut-out hole of 1 inch, but packs over 7,000 fixture lumens. It can be used for transom or hull mounts due to its light dimming and strobe capabilities. Also, the tritonium glass lens is scratch-resistant and easy to maintain.
- Easy to install
- A wide spectrum
- The outer body is resistant to most salts and elements in water bodies
- It mostly works for small to medium-sized boats
There is a 2-year warranty from the time of purchase.
4. Lumitec 101320 SeaBlazeX Spectrum LED Underwater Boat Light
This is one of the best selling underwater boat lights in the country. With over 3,000 lumens and a full spectrum, it delivers two times its worth compared to its competitors. The full spectrum also ensures an infinite color selection. The body is bronze coated and resistant to salt corrosion.
- Easy to toggle on and off since it does not require external controllers
- A wide range of colors to choose from
- Very reliable with a low profile and a small footprint
- Can be used above the water surface
- Little fixture lumens
- Requires an installation manual
A 3-year warranty comes with these lights.
5. SeaSense LED Combination Stainless Steel Bow Light
This is a stern boat light that is used when the boat is in motion. It identifies the position of the boat and is normally placed on the back side of the boat. The pole ranges from 30 to 60 inches. The housing is stainless steel, and it meets all the USCG regulations. The LED lights are very bright making power boats visible from afar.
- Over 225⁰ of visibility
- Low profile
- Over 20 LED lights
- Mostly used for small- and medium-sized boats
- Not very bright when navigating deep waters
A limited lifetime warranty comes with this light.
6. Attwood LED 1-Mile Deck Mount Navigation Bow Light
These are bow boat lights used on the port and starboard for navigation purposes. The red light indicates the right side while the green light indicates the left side. The LED lights housed by stainless steel can resist water intrusion and electric discharge. They are also visible over 1 mile away.
- A single purchase covers both sides of the boat
- They meet the marine authorities’ requirements
- Not very energy efficient
- Not very bright
These lights have a 10-year warranty.
7. Attwood 3530G7 & 3530R7; LED Navigation Light Green & Red
This bow light comes in green and red which indicates the side your boat is on. The housing is made of long lasting stainless steel. The LED bow boat lights are visible from a long distance and can comfortably fit in most small boats.
- The package has all accessories included
- Easy to install
- They deplete the battery fast
- They cannot be used on large boats
A 10-year warranty comes with these lights.
8. SeaSense LED Adjustable Stern Light
The 360⁰ light beam from the lens can be seen from 2 nautical miles away. The lens is non-glare which ensures the light diffuses when it’s out of view. It has a Sure-Fit collar that increases the range of bases it can fit in. The housing has a cool chrome finish while the rod is made of aluminum.
- The rod comes in several lengths from 24 to 60 inches
- The boat lights are easy to assemble and disassemble
- A low life expectancy of 20,000 hours
- The battery drains fast
A 2-year drop and spills warranty applies to this light.
9. AMRA-5530-24A7 – 24″ Attwood Led Articulating All-Round Boat Stern Lights
This is a stern light with a 360⁰ view of the surroundings. It has an anti-glare lens that draws the light away from the pilot’s eyes and focuses it on the horizon and above. The mid-hinge made of glass filled with plastic makes it easy to fold the 24-60 inch poles in half. It can also rotate 15⁰ to any side.
- Anti-glare feature improves the pilot’s visibility
- Fits in a wide range of bases with its Universal-Fit locking collar
- Durable with over 50,000 hours of LED life expectancy
- A bit expensive in comparison to models in the same range
- The boat lights are only suitable for small boats
This comes with a 10-year warranty.
10. Perko Stealth LED 36″ White All Round Pole Light
The stealth series saves on night vision by reducing the amount of light lost outside the visibility zone. It has a large threaded collar and a ¾ inch diameter anodized pole. The black plastic collar blends in perfectly with the dark conditions. It can also fit in 2 pin bases and has 2 screw bases.
- Easy to use and install since it uses the Stow-A-Way plug-in hole
- Lightweight enough to easily transport
- It is not long lasting
- The pole rake is only 5⁰ while other boat lights of the same price clock in at 15⁰
- More expensive than similar models
A 1-year warranty comes with this product.
The best boat lights should offer you quality service which matches your requirements. Having sampled over 10 boat lights, we can confidently endorse the Lumitec 101320 SeaBlazeX Spectrum LED Underwater Boat Light as the best boat light.
It is affordable and serves a wide range of boat owners. Multiple boat lights experts have lauded it on its attractiveness, durability, affordability, and efficiency. The Lumitec 101320 SeaBlazeX Spectrum LED Underwater Boat Light has a wide spectrum that offers an almost infinite choice of colors. This ensures it adjusts to various conditions such as fishing or parties depending on your preference.
Last update on 2021-05-09 at 11:57 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API